Wednesday 6 March 2013

Watch Out For the Green, Java Sea Queen! -Pelabuhan Ratu Part 1

01-03 March: Pelabuhan Ratu, Indonesia 

     I had not been out of Jakarta since we went to Tidung! That was so long ago it seemed. I was ready for a trip away from the big city. Of course, we scheduled our trip on a weekend where we had a Saturday event that we didn't know about. I did not know that I had to be at school on Saturday until 3 days before and the trip was already planned. Well, after passing it by the principal, I was able to leave on Friday after school for my mini vacation.
     As it started to rain, Eduardo, Linda and I took a tasksi from school to meet up with Danna, Lynsey and Nicole. We got to their place just in time. The driver had just gotten there and we were ready to go after getting a few snacks for the long drive to Pelabuhan Ratu....and yes, it was a long drive. The driver came all the way from Pelabuhan Ratu to get us and take us back with him. The drive took us through the VERY curvy roads of the mountains. When we got close, the driver rolled down the window to show us the ocean. It was night, but it was still amazing! It took us about 5 hours to get there, which landed us there at about 9:30-10:00 pm. The driver said that it would normally only take about 3 hours, but because we left during a bad traffic time, it took us longer.
     We checked into our rooms and got some dinner before settling in for the night. Eduardo's stomach didn't like the roads too much on the way there, so he pretty much crashed right away. The place was pretty nice. They had a restaurant/bar right there, where we were able to order Western and Indonesian food. After dinner we all called it a night.
     The next morning I got up pretty early and went out on the balcony. What an amazing view to wake up to. I was so excited for the day, because I knew I was going to be spending it relaxing on the beach.

     After eating some nasi goreng (fried rice) with egg for breakfast, I quickly put my swimming suit on, got my things together and headed toward the beach with Lynsey, Danna and Nicole. As we walked along, there were crabs everywhere! I had never seen so many in my life at a beach. Good thing they ran before you even got close to them, because I didn't want to step on one or have one scuttle over my foot.



     We walked down the beach looking for a good place to put our things. We got all the way to the end and it looked like a good spot so we put our things down. The other girls started to take pictures on the nearby rocks in the ocean while I stood by our things and put sunscreen on. I am putting sunscreen on, and all of a sudden, a huge wave comes out of nowhere! It takes all of our stuff! I grab my bag quickly since it is right next to me and try to grab anything else that I can while yelling for the other girls to come and help. I had to chase my sandal into the ocean. I mean, it wouldn't have been a sad loss, but I really wanted to wear shoes for the weekend.
     I got both of my sandals back and luckily, everything else was in my bag. My bag only got a little wet on the bottom. Unfortunately, we ended up with 1 cell phone not working, an iPod not working, and a missing shoe. Danna had lost her shoe and we could not find it. Since I was running around chasing my shoe with my sunscreen bottle open, I think I wasted half of the bottle all over my bag and on Nicole's shorts...oops! We could not believe what had just happened. All of the girls' stuff was soaked! Of course, after that there were no other waves that reached that far back, but we decided to take all of our belongings back to our room.


     After this happened, we learned of a myth about the Java Sea Queen. Her name is Nyai Roro Kidul and the myth says that if you wear a green garment in this area, it will anger her and bring misfortune on the wearer. Well, Danna was wearing a green tank top...hmm...is the myth true?!?! She is the only one who lost a shoe. Even if it isn't, we are still giving Danna a hard time about it. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment