Sunday 16 June 2013

First Year of Teaching Is Done Already!?!

     Well, I have finished my first year of teaching in Jakarta, Indonesia. The last week was very busy with going over the final tests with students, class parties, Primary 6 graduation and parent teacher conferences. I feel like this year has gone by so fast. It feels like I was just home in America for Christmas not that long ago and now it is the summer holiday.
     I am really going to miss my kids, even though their behaviour was not always the best (haha!). They really improved this year. Even my student who had a lot of behaviour issues in my class earned the award for making the most progress since the first semester. I was so proud of him and I am glad that he started to get his behaviour under control at the end of the semester.
     The students finished up all of their exams and then we had to go over all of them. I had to go over all of the tests in my classes in one day. It felt kind of rushed. I wish we would have had a little more time, but oh well. I got it done.
     On Tuesday we had our class party, and so many students brought food. We had so much extra food, I had to share with the rest of the teachers. Our party was at breakfast time, but then by the time lunch rolled around a student had ordered pizza for all of us! I definitely wasn't hungry, but I did take  some of the pizza home. 
     On Wednesday, we basically had meetings all day. We also had our end of the year meeting with the directors. We did find out that we got the extra housing allowance!! I guess our letter that we wrote to the directors helped after all. We were also able to give other suggestions to the directors and principal about what we would like to see or improve for next year. 
     Thursday was the Primary 6 graduation ceremony. It was over 2 hours long!! It was a very nice program, but I think it was longer than my high school graduation. It was very different than a any graduation that I have been to. There were lots of awards given out and there was a singing program done by the students to thank their parents for supporting them. It was actually very nice. Afterward, we all had a buffet lunch.
     This was also report book day. We had to make sure that all of our grades were entered on the computer and that they were ready to print. This is always a day of waiting. There is always a long line of people waiting for their reports to be printed so we can sign each one and put them inside the books.
     On Friday, we had parent/teacher conferences and then we went out for lunch with all of the teachers as a farewell to our Math HOD, our Chinese teachers and our dear Vice Principal, Ms Lina, who are all leaving us. Ms Lina is like our Mother of Bina Bangsa School and now she is leaving us to go to another school. It's very sad and we will all miss her very much. 
     Some of my students brought me gifts, and I even had one student who took me out for dinner on Friday night. We went to the mall nearest my building. He also got me a very nice watch. I also got a lot of food as gifts from the students, which is very common here in Jakarta. I get all of this food, but then I leave in 3 days! I don't know how I am going to eat it all. I'm not I guess. Haha. I will have to give a lot of it away. 
     Monday I am headed to the Philippines with some other teachers from KJ and Eduardo (he also teaches at PIK with me). I think it's going to be a great trip. After we are in Palawan, Philippines for a week, we are going to Phuket, Thailand. We are going to spend most of our time relaxing on the beach. I would also like to do a little island hopping. There are some beautiful places that I am told that I need to check out in the Philippines and Thailand. I'm sure that I will blog about the trip and post pictures when I get back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment