Sunday 28 April 2013

~ The Little Mermaid, Jr ~


     The weekend of 19-20 April, PIK Primary put on the show The Little Mermaid, Jr. The students and teachers had been preparing for this for about 6 months. After all of that hard work and practise the show finally came. The teachers had to stay back from school to help out with props, and there were a lot of teachers that had production roles for the play. My role was to help with the booklet. I did not design it, but I helped put together the contents inside.
     After school on Friday we all stayed back to get ready for the play. I sat and watched the kids practise as they anxiously waited for the show to begin. A lot of students from my form class participated in the play. Most of the students that were in the play are part of the Performing Arts Club at the school. Two of my students had lead roles. One was Flounder the fish and the other was Sebastian the crab. You can see them above on the cover of the programme. I also had 4 other students from my class that had roles.
     They performed three times, and there was actually two different Ariels. They thought that both of them did a good job, so they took turns with the role. I was so impressed by this musical. They put on such a good show for primary students. I never knew how talented they were. I didn't know how talented my class was. Sebastian also played the drums at the beginning of the show. I don't know how they got up there and performed in front of everyone like they did. I guess I used to be in musicals, but I never had solos like most of them did. I was always in a chorus or something.
     I will say that I am glad the musical is over. It took up a lot of time, and pupils were missing class so that they could go to practise. It was hard when my students work in groups and their group members are gone. I think the rest of the teachers are very proud of the students, but they are also super glad that it is all over. I think they wanted to burn the props when they were done. Haha. Some teachers put a lot of time in on the props, like my roommate, Amber. She was definitely glad when we had the curtain call at the last show on Saturday night.
     Next year, the musical will be at the other campus (KJ), so I will be anxious to see which show they pick. Hopefully I will be able to watch it. This weekend I haven't done much. I went to see Iron Man 3 last night with Amber. Otherwise, today I have done nothing except clean up the kitchen a little bit and visit with Andrew from upstairs. It was nice to have a relaxing weekend. In May, I will be at school on the weekends for my Maths course. I need to prepare myself to be busy/tired. Haha! Oh well, the school year will be over soon, and I will be on my way to some island to relax on the beach...(hopefully)!

No comments:

Post a Comment